Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"Water Water Everywhere and Not a Drop to Spare" or "There's a Hole in the Bucket, Dear Liza Dear Liza"


Oh the joys of home ownership!  As I was painting the ceiling in the kitchen, my tenant came over to ask if I had water.  I checked the kitchen sink and sure enough, no water.  I tried calling my folks (cell phones not turned on); I tried my brother, the plumber (went to voicemail), so I run in town and thankfully, my parents are there, my brother calls to say that he’s on his way out and in the mean time, I am scrambling my butt down to the store for the biggest jugs of water I can buy while praying that it’s something simple that doesn’t require a ton of money to fix. 

 My brother announces, after he’s looked at the breaker box, the water filter and everything else inside the house, that it might be the pump IN the well.  So he, his friend Ricky, my dad and our tenant pull out the pump from the well (by the way, my well is about 200 feet deep and that pump sits down at the bottom…good to know).  Its pump – after 24 years, it just decided to die 4 days after we buy the place. Ugh!

Thankfully my brother can fix it for under $400 and by this afternoon, my tenants will have running water again!  And I am thankful that the pump decided to go now, in June, rather than in freezing cold February…in a snow storm…with 40 mph winds!  I’d rather it had not gone at all, but at least now I can rest assured that my well has a brand spanky new pump!

On the paint front, the basement is done and the kitchen is taped off.  I did do stain block paint on the ceiling, but I have a feeling that when I go out there this morning that it will be streaky and will need a real ceiling paint.

Sadie did get to go out for the first time.  She wandered all over, checked out upstairs and the basement, wandered around the yard and we went for a walk on the snowmobile trail (which is really nice!).  She was a little antsy, but I got her a marrow bone and she eventually settled down and gnawed on that for a while. 

Mum and I will be back at the painting today, hopefully getting some color on the walls!

No comments: