Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Three more days...



I’m counting down to moving day, if you hadn’t noticed.  I’m still wandering around the house finding things that I haven’t packed yet, remembering things in other rooms and areas of the house that I don’t frequent…like the attic and above the garage.  I don’t know how I will fit it all, but I have a feeling that the “Good Stuff Free” shed at the transfer station will be getting a truckload of new stuff relatively soon!

Time Warner Cable called me on Monday as a courtesy to make sure that my internet service was working properly (I had called them few weeks ago with an issue).  I told the guy that I was about to call them that day to set up a day/time to have my services moved to my new house and he set to work helping me with that. 

He started out by saying that he couldn’t guarantee that he would be able to have a tech in the area on Tuesday, July 6th, but first he wanted to check to make sure that I could get service out there.  He then came back and told me that there were already services attached to my half of the duplex!  I asked if it was in the name of the previous owner and he said yes.   I explained the situation, that we had bought the house a month ago and that I was living on one side and renting out the other, that the previous owner no longer lived there and didn’t even own the place.  The guy at Time Warner said that I couldn’t move my services until the previous owner called to disconnect his and that I should call the old owners.  I don’t know the old owners!  The last I had talked with them was a month ago and I didn’t have a number.  So the Time Warner guy said he would call. 

Yesterday, he called to say that the old owner didn’t want to lose his email address and that’s why he hadn’t disconnected yet.  The owner would transfer the service when he moved into his new house.  I asked the Time Warner guy how he could do that since he didn’t own my house anymore, and what if the guy didn’t get into his new house for another month?  It was ridiculous of me to have to pay for services that I can’t use at a house I will no longer be living at and not be able to get them at the house I WILL be living at.  He said he’d work with the old owner to resolve the situation and call me back in a few days. 

After I hung up with him, I was so mad.  I had to bring my truck out to the garage to get it fixed and on my way out there, I started to get angrier and angrier about this situation!  It was bullshit that they couldn’t do anything until he canceled his services!  I was to the point that I was contemplating canceling my services with Time Warner if they couldn’t resolve it by Friday. The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized that would only negatively impact me – that I would be the one without internet and cable, and I need internet to use my Vonage (which I still have another year of service in my contract).  I told myself that I had to let it go, because it wasn’t doing me any good to stew about it.

Within 5 minutes of letting it go, the guy from Time Warner called me (this was at 4:30 pm).  He said the situation was resolved, the old owner’s service would be disconnected as of Sunday and my service would be switched over on Tuesday, as I had requested!  Now I have to take back every bad thing I said about Time Warner in the last two days!

No comments: