Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Hazards of Home Ownership

On Monday night, the temperature had dropped from stifling to mildly humid and there was a bit of a breeze, so I got the brilliant idea that I would start mowing the lawn.  I hadn't even made it a quarter of the way done and I managed to  jab a tree branch into the back of my hand near a vein! Don't ask how, this is decidedly something that only I can do!

I cleaned it up, after it welled blood for a while and bandaged it, only it hurt so bad that I could barely move my hand. It throbbed most of the night and started to swell the next day.  I couldn't flex it or make a fist at all, so what do I do? I go to work and complain about it all day, rather than call the doctor and see what's wrong with it.

I did finally go to the doctor yesterday - she sent me for an x-ray, which showed that there was nothing broken or fractured.  She figures that I bruised the hell out of it and possibly scraped a nerve or a tendon, which is why it hurt so badly.  Ice and 800 mg of Ibuprofen three times a day was the prescription and the swelling has already started to go down.  It's just still sore.

This injury seriously put a dent in my plans to unpack the quilt room, needless to say, it still looks vaguely similar to the day I moved in...
Only without the truck, with the table set up, the small filing cabinet moved under the window and the bookcase screwed to the wall and filled with books.  Other than that, it's still full of boxes that need to be gone through and the contents put in their rightful places...once I figure out where those rightful places are.

No comments: