Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day!

What a good day to start my first full day on my own, in my new house!

The cats woke me up at 5:00 AM – yay…I was thrilled to no end to have spent the entire day before on screech trying to move and direct everyone where to go to put stuff and to only get six hours of sleep…whoo-hoo, yippee. Oh well, new house, they were excited.

Good lord, I have a lot of stuff! And I’ve already unpacked some of it and moved some stuff to the basement!  I just didn’t realize how much stuff I’ve accumulated over the years!  I guess it’s time to figure out what I really just don’t need and ship it off to the free shed at the transfer station.

The move went well!  Thank god for Melissa and Darrell bringing over the trailer; that made it so much easier.  The washer and dryer are in the basement and set up…or almost set up. The plug for the dryer is about 2 inches shy of the outlet, so we’ll have to prop the dryer up on blocks.  Whoo-hoo for ghetto dryers!

My plan had been to unpack today, but it reached nearly 90 degrees and I said to hell with it, packed up the dog and headed to the Lake. The water was really refreshing! When I got back to the house, it was still 88!  Ugh!  But I unpacked some stuff in the living room, set the TV up on the floor, because it hangs about an inch or two over the lip of the armoire and makes the TV unstable…and since its front heavy, I don’t want to do that.  I’d like to buy a flat screen, but money is a little tight right now to be buying things that I don’t necessarily need. Dad’s going to create an insert to accommodate it.  I hooked up the DVD player and watched a movie until I fell asleep on the couch.  I won’t have cable or internet until Tuesday…so obviously, I’m writing these entries on the day, but 7/2 to 7/5 won’t be posted until Tuesday).

You could hear the fireworks from 9:00 till 9:30 and then someone (or maybe the neighboring town?) set off a bunch from 10 to 10:30.  Poor Sadie, she really doesn’t like fireworks, or gun shots, or trucks backfiring.

Oh, I also introduced the cats to the basement.  Nym was psyched that there was a whole new room that he had yet to explore!  He checked out the area under the stairs where the cat box is now located, then crawled under the furnace, behind the washer and dryer, under the oil tank and then under the bulkhead stairs.  He came out COVERED in cobwebs and dirt!  Ellie took a different approach; she pitty-patted around the shelves, where it was clean, checking everything out over there, then she checked out the water tank and walked UP the bulkhead stairs and avoided all the cobwebby spots.  Then she followed me upstairs to the kitchen.  Nymmy, on the other hand, didn’t want to leave the basement; he kept going up the stairs and then running back down, like he was making sure the room was still there!  Later, I think Ellie gave up on staying on the clean areas of the basement, because she came up with cobwebs all over her face.

No comments: