Friday, April 20, 2012

Spooooooon!!!

Ah, the rally cry of one of my favorite cartoon characters...The Tick!


What does The Tick have to do with anything?  Well, tick season has begun here (okay yeah, I know, weird segue).  It starts just before black fly season and doesn't end until November (if we're lucky and we get a good freeze that month).  

Unfortunately, tick season means avoiding the snowmobile trail behind my house when walking Sadie, because inevitably, I end up with a tick crawling on me somewhere. Normally, my tick radar is on high alert and I just know when I've got one on me.  But this morning, it wasn't crawling on me...it was EMBEDDED in my knee!  GROSSEST. THING. EVER! I found it when I was taking a shower, thinking it was a scab to a cut that I didn't realize I had.  And god was it sore!  Then I thought I saw the scab move.  Not having my glasses on, I flung myself out of the shower, soaking the bathroom in the process to put on my glasses and see that it was exactly what I feared.  A tick!  

While I was able to pull it out, I don't know if I got the head out.  My mother thinks it may have come out when it bled (I know, too much information), but to keep an eye on it, so it doesn't bullseye. 

Ugh, yuck!  This is the first time I've had a tick IN me, rather than just on me.  Talk about paranoid now.  My tick checks include stripping down and turning my clothing inside out! Thank god the dog is treated against fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and biting flies.  Now if only someone would make a nontoxic, human version that did the same thing!  

No comments: