Saturday, April 28, 2012

Breakfast of Champions

Last night I picked up my order of yummy Maine farm products from the KLFI Buying Club.  I ordered:
  • Organic Salted Butter from Moo Milk Co, which has farms all over Maine
  • Sharp Cheddar Cheese from Sonnental Dairy of Smyrna, ME (this is an Amish dairy that produces amazing cheese!)
  • Organic Raw Milk from Tide Mill Farm of Edmunds, ME
  • Nitrite free Pork Bacon from Farmers Gate Market of Wales, ME
  • Maine Grown Desiree Potatoes from Sparrow Arc Farm of Unity, ME




So my breakfast this morning was nearly all Maine-made/home produced.  Except my toast.  I didn't have time to make bread.  And my tea is a rugged Irish Breakfast...but with raw milk, it was the best cup of tea I've had in a long time!

I’m so thankful to live in Maine, where we have such an abundance of small farms producing a vast crop of products.  My ultimate goal is to not have to hit the grocery store every time I need food (which can be two, sometimes three times a week, depending on if I’ve forgotten something).  I want to grow what I can, bake my own bread, get my eggs from my own poultry and maybe start raising broilers for the freezer.  I’ve already started making calls about purchasing freezer beef and pork from local farms.  And I’ll get my dairy products (and whatever else I can’t produce myself) through KFLI and/or the Wednesday Farmers Market in town.  I want to learn how to render pig fat and bake with lard like my great grandmothers used to in Newfoundland.  I want to milk a goat, make cheese and handmade soap. I want to make a root cellar, can more veggies, make jams and sauces and store crops for winter.

I am weirdly, deliriously happy at the thought of doing these things. I am beyond help, so I’m just going to go with it!

No comments: