Sunday, April 15, 2012

Free Rangers and Digging in the Dirt

My little flock started free ranging yesterday!  They were leery for, oh about 30...maybe 40 seconds and then they were off exploring!
 

They couldn't wait to get out this morning, heading for the spot under the pine tree up by the driveway that they fell in love with yesterday.  It was a sweet spot, until two neighborhood cats started stalking them and the Bantams sent out the warning call that had me flying out the door to find out what was wrong.  Damn cats!  Since then, they've been sticking closer to the coop and digging in my garden.


Ah yes, the garden has been dug and the bean trellis has gone up!  I'm very proud of my bean trellis.  Its an old futon frame that I repurposed.



There's still a lot to be done before I can start planting; like fencing around it so my chickens don't dig up all my seeds!  That kind of defeats the purpose of growing my own food.

On a side note, the chickens are no longer sticking close to the coop as of a moment ago, when I went to check on them. There were two little Bantams hanging out in the coop, one of them sending out a warning squawk (which is why I went out in the first place).  For a moment, I thought I lost them.  Seriously, I couldn't hear them or see them anywhere until I started walking the perimeter of the property and there they were, over to the right of my tenant's driveway, in the brush under the apple tree, happily digging for whatever!  Fearless, I tell ya! So much for keeping them close and within view.

No comments: