Friday, April 13, 2012

KLFI



Today, I volunteered with the Kennebec Local Food Initiative (KLFI) for the first time...the first of what I hope will be many!


KLFI is an organization promoting local food, local farmers and community.  They have the ultimate goal of bringing a natural, local foods store that houses a cafe and an educational kitchen to our downtown.  This is something I have longed for for a very long time.

I learned out KLFI last year, when I was doing a bit of research on local farmers markets and stumbled upon their website.  They had a sign up for their newsletter and I thought, “What the heck?  They sound like a very worthwhile organization.”  Not long after, a coworker and I were talking about the Co-Op in Belfast (one of my favorite places!) and how we needed something like that around here to give the one little health food store in the area a little healthy competition (no pun intended…no really, I only just realized how lame that sounded as I was rereading this before posting). Then a KLFI newsletter went out with a survey, asking how interested people would be in a healthy foods storefront, how likely we would be to frequent it, etc. etc.  It was like they overheard my conversation.  I knew I needed to be involved somehow, but I just didn’t think I had the time…or rather, I didn’t know if I was willing to make the time.  I’m very much not a joiner, very much a homebody.  But then something clicked last week and I found myself just sending them an email, telling them I wanted to volunteer. Once it was sent, there was no turning back! And I'm glad I sent that email!

Sarah, the director of KFLI, met me at the door of the old bakery downtown and we just got chatting.  I immediately felt welcomed and when I told her about my conversation with my coworker, she started nodding and smiling, because they are looking to base the KLFI storefront on a cross between the Belfast Co-Op and another place in Waterville called Barrels Community Market.  It just seemed like one more nudge telling me I'm supposed to be involved this organization.  The experience was everything I hoped it would be; everyone who showed up was so friendly that I just felt like I was in the right place!

So right now, KLFI is doing an online buying club...kinda like a CSA share, only you choose what local, organic foods you want to purchase from what is available from the Maine farmers and producers that they work with. They offer organic beef, chicken, pork, seasonal fruits  and veggies, raw milk, grains, honey, bread, yogurt, butter...the list is long and everything looked so fresh and yummy! I was really wishing I had signed up for the buying club when it first began.  But better late than never, right?  The next round of ordering is Sunday and I can’t wait to see what awaits me!

No comments: