Monday, April 30, 2012

Relinquishing My Table for the Cause



I used to have a kitchen table.  I used to be able to sit and eat breakfast at my kitchen table. My kitchen table has been lost to the “Growing My Own Food” cause.  It is now home to three flats of vegetable and flower seedlings that NEED to get in the ground.  But this is Maine and Mother Nature likes to point and laugh at us when even remotely think the last frost has passed.


Ellie and Nym are less than impressed.  The table is their spot to lounge in the afternoon sun; their place to launch themselves over to the cat dishes, so they don’t have to get on the floor. It is where they sit sentinel, waiting for me when I come home from work, so that I may lavish them with attention (and so they don’t get trompled by the dog when she does her “OHMYGODYOU’REHOME! I’MSOHAPPY!” dance at the door). They look with disdain at those little peat cups and bits of greenery. I’m convinced that Ellie is intentionally and systematically killing them off, by jumping over them and stepping through them, in an attempt to get me to move them off of HER table!


Eventually, one day…hopefully soon…I (and Ellie and Nym) will see the table again.

No comments: