Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Water water everywhere

I've been thinking a lot about grey water. I recently stopped buying commercial laundry detergent and started making my own, thanks to a recipe I found over on Soule Mama's blog (on her Tutorials page). I broke down the cost per load and it figured out to 12¢ each! It works just as well and is better for the environment...so why not figure out how to collect my washing machine water for use in my garden?

I have this idea that incorporates a rain barrel, buried PVC pipe and PEX Tubing as a drip line...provided PEX doesn't freeze if you put holes in it. Obviously right now its just a thought swirling in my head as I watch the snow fall outside my window. Its something that will require a conversation with my brother, the commercial plumber, who will know if putting tiny holes in PEX will compromise its integrity when buried or he will have alternative suggestions to my ideas.

While this snow is pretty, its kind of killing my gardening buzz! Though its not like I can do much garden related outside until the ground thaws, might as well think about breaking out the snowshoes.


No comments: