Thursday, January 19, 2012

Saying Farewell to Cable

Today I made the conscious decision to give up my cable.  It's something that I've been debating for many months now.  This will be my second go 'round without cable. About 10 years ago, I gave up cable (before the digital conversion) and had a rotary antennae on the roof of my old house that gave me local channels. Back then it was primarily a cost issue.  I just couldn't afford cable or satellite, so I went without.  Eventually, as my situation got better and 3 years later I was able to afford the luxury of cable. And I loved it!  I was addicted to home and garden shows, cooking shows, cartoons, Law & Order and CSI reruns...and slowly I became addicted to just having the TV on as company.

It never got any better. Actually, it got worse. I went from 70 channels to over 200! I ate breakfast on the couch while watching the morning news.  I ate dinner while watching evening shows.  I left it on all day during the weekend as background noise, drifting in and out as a program caught my attention. And I never felt like I was accomplishing anything.

I've been paying $145 a month to let myself be glued to the tube...with internet on the side!

When I didn't have cable, I did a lot more around my house. My house was clean all the time; I crafted more; I gardened more; I read voraciously! It was great!

And that is why I'm returning the DVR tomorrow. I'm keeping the internet, of course, but saying goodbye to 200+ channels that hardly ever had anything on!

No comments: