Tuesday, January 17, 2012

But I Don't Want A Cow


It seems like every book and article that I read about homesteading or farming on a small plot, they assume that we will be acquiring, if not already have, a "The Family Cow," because The Family Cow will give you unadulterated milk. I like that idea...in theory. Fresh milk every day, knowing exactly what is in this milk and where it came from...absolutely awesome! Getting free compost for my garden...fantastic! Milking a cow every day, shoveling manure, dealing with bovine maintenance in subzero Maine winters? Not so awesome nor fantastic.

I love that winter gives you the opportunity to research the romanticized notions in your head before you act on them!  I contemplated a cow.  No, seriously!  I contemplated it for all the reasons I just listed, but reality hit almost instantly the morning I awoke to -13 degree weather and a frozen drinker in the coop (despite the heater below).

Then there was the article I read that said something to the effect that if you don't plan on going anywhere for more than a day, ever, or unless you have a friend/family member who is willing to come milk your cow for you every morning that you're away, that a cow is a great idea. That has to be a very good friend/family member to come to your house at the ass crack of dawn and milk your cow!

The article also said that the whey that you would get from The Family Cow would be beneficial for the chickens and the pigs. Wait a minute, when did I get pigs? I don't want pigs - pigs are messy and stinky. I don't have a place for pigs and good lord, I can't imagine my dog and pigs! She's not a roller, but with my luck, she would roll in the pig pen. Ugh, just the thought is gross!!

In the early years of their journey toward sustainable living, Scott & Helen Nearing believed that keeping animals was akin to slavery, as all living creatures are independent souls that should be treated as such. Therefore they kept no farm animals, no dog, not even a house cat. I agree that all animals are independent souls, but I also believe that I'm giving my dog, my cats and even the chickens a better existence than if they were left to fend for themselves. And I do want to add animals to my little plot o' land, but it may have to wait until it's more than just me caring for them. Not that I'm not up for the hard work, but the time and money extra animals require is a little more than my plate can handle, I think...at least right now.

Okay, so no pigs, scratch the cow...I'll just stick with chickens for now (rhyming fool I tell ya!). They're relatively easy, especially to clean up after. In fact, cleaning up after them is less labor intensive than cleaning the cat boxes.

And that is where I'll leave you for today.



No comments: