Thursday, October 25, 2012

Inspiration and End Results

So this picture on Pinterest intrigued  me. It kept me coming back with the thought, "I could do this." Mentally I was running through a laundry list of what I would need and what it would cost. The photo was inspiring! This was just what I needed in the living room to replace the piece of crap bookshelf that was starting to fall apart. Seriously, I had to place it in a corner where it could lean without breaking apart - I'm a little hard on my bookshelves...I pack them out with books and then keep adding. I think I need a library, but that will have to wait for another house, with more rooms!

I kept thinking that I could make this and it would be fairly easy. So finally, I just made it!

I picked up eight wooden crates at A.C. Moore, a can of Minwax "Early American" stain, along with short screws and metal braces.

I realized, after staining the crates that I needed two more. I took two old, painted ones that I've had forever (like since high school, forever ago) and grabbed a couple cans of black spray paint that I just happened to have in the basement (when did I buy those?) and sprayed them. It wasn't the best spray job, but they form the base of the shelves, so you don't notice the terrible job I did. Then all I did was stack and brace until they formed a fairly nifty looking shelving unit that I could anchor into the wall.

I really am pleased with the end result. I paid less than a traditional bookcase and got a more interesting look in the process, while experiencing the satisfaction of knowing that I made it myself!






No comments: