Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Broody Hen

I'm dealing with my first, well and truly, broody hen. Its Miss Mildred, the one named for my grandmother.

At first, I didn't know what was wrong with her. She sat in the nesting box, with her head facing the back of the box, as if to say "Talk to the ass!" But she always got down at treat time (just before they get closed up for the night).  Then she started walking around all puffed up, making chirping sounds and the rooster kept going after her. When she started roosting on the drinker (and subsequently relieving herself into it), I know something was definitely not right.

Being the inexperienced chicken farmer that I am, I naturally thought she was sick. So off to the internet I went to find out what was wrong with my bird. Of course there were a million different sites out there that proceeded to SCARE THE CRAP out of me and make me think she was diseased! Thankfully a lovely little thread of backyard farmers eased my worries and provided some helpful hints to de-broodify her, from placing ice cubes/packs in the nest under her or dunking her underside in cool water to checking her into a suite at the Chicken Hilton (aka the dog crate in my basement).

Separating her may be the way to go. At the very least, it will give everyone else in the coop a break from her cranky squawking! That just may be on the agenda for this evening, before the snow hits.



No comments: