Monday, May 7, 2012

Free Rangers and the Sly Fox...one chicken's near death experience

Poor Miss Agnes got the scare of her little chicken life yesterday. She and the girls were wandering the front yard, not ten steps from my front door and a fox came out of nowhere and tried to abduct her!

I'm thankful that I heard the commotion and ran out. He took off out to the back path, chickenless. But there was a mound of feathers on the lawn and I knew it was Agnes' feathers. I was praying it wasn't Agnes! It was only feathers, though, so I started doing the head count and calling them in.

Josephine was in the pen, Hilda & Bertha were behind the shed, the four bantams were under the pear tree, Mildred was in a nesting box and poor Agnes was hiding in the garden. I checked her over and there was no blood, so Mr. Fox only got a mouthful of feathers! She was terrified, though. Needless to say, they stayed in the pen the rest of the day.

I worry about letting them out now, even with me being there. I know raising chickens means dealing with predators. I've got the shotgun loaded and handy now. And god help that fox if I see him near my chickens again, because I'm fairly handy with a rifle, pistol and shotgun, but there's not much I can do if I'm not there. I know I just need to let it go and let nature take its course, but they're pets to me...feathered cats that lay eggs and whose poop makes good fertilizer!


No comments: