Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Black Crow Bakery

The Black Crow Bakery has become an every Saturday stop since I found it. Its this little place in Litchfield that is open from 7 to 7, Tuesday to Saturday. If you didn't know it was there, you'd drive right past!

It just looks like someone's house with a red barn attached. You walk in through a door, up a set of stairs and into what looks like an old summer kitchen. Before you are all the tools for mass bread baking. To the left, a giant wood fired oven and just beyond, the rack of bread with little handmade tags telling you what each is. In the center is a little table with cookies and danish.

Black Crow Bakery

There is no one else there. Its the honor system. You pack up your bread, you calculate your total, you make your change.

The bread is stone baked, making it crunchy on the outside and soft, yet chewy, on the inside. There is peasant bread, olive herb bread, parmesan foccacia, wheat, Tuscan, Jewish Rye, apricot almond and a few others.  I have officially given up buying bread from the grocery store in lieu of this bread!

Bread

While I know I can bake bread myself, and I do, its not the same. Its not wood fired, nor stone baked. And if I'm going to buy bread, I'd rather it be from a local place.  Knowing my bread was baked fresh, just 10 minutes down the road, by neighbors...I like knowing that!

Black Crow Bakery goodies



No comments: