Sunday, May 20, 2012

Buttah Baby!

Today I tried my hand at making butter...real butter, not the slightly cheesy smelling/tasting organic butter I bought a little while ago...just plain, creamy, slightly salted butter.

I never realized just how simple it was to make, until I ran across a blog post about it.  The post called for putting heavy cream in a mason jar and shaking it.  I told my mother about it and she said, "There's a much easier way - whip it with the hand mixer like you would to make whip cream.  Only keep whipping.  Eventually it will separate and become buttermilk and butter." The light bulb went on!

So I bought some heavy cream, got out the handy dandy hand mixer and went to work.


It took a little while, but just when I thought I was doing it wrong - viola! It started to separate. When it got chunky, I poured off what buttermilk was there and kept pressing the butter with the rubber spatula until there was little to no buttermilk coming out of it.


I mixed some sea salt to the butter (because I like salted butter) and put it in a little container for the fridge.  Now I have fresh creamy butter for my toast...and the buttermilk pancakes I'm going to make from that leftover buttermilk! Yum!

Buttah Bitches!


No comments: