Monday, May 31, 2010

Home?

The sellers finally moved out last night…I know, it’s only been 2 days, but it’s felt like forever!  They still have to pick up trash this morning, but they’re done.

I went out last night, just to check things out and I was disappointed.  It didn’t feel like home.  It still felt like someone else’s house.  I know I have to give it time, but I didn’t feel well yesterday and my annoyance level was on high, so everything irritated me…the fact that I never checked the light in the bedroom to make sure that it worked during the inspection (it doesn’t); the freezer wasn’t washed, so there is spilled crud inside; the tenants on the other side have a child and their every movement can be heard through the walls; the sellers were supposed to leave the keys on the counter for everything, except there was one key and it didn’t turn the lock, so I had to leave the place unlocked last night.  Thank god it’s in the country.

I just didn’t feel at home and it bothered me.  I know it will be different once I get my own stuff out there.  And I know that much of the sound will be absorbed when I get furniture in, a couple of decorative quilts on the wall, etc. etc.  I know that I was only hearing EVERYTHING because my side was empty.

Today will be different.  I will get out there and start painting the basement.  My annoyance level is still up there because I still don’t feel well and I didn’t sleep well (it smelled like someone was burning trash and plastic all night – it’s still hanging heavy in the air here at the old house).  But I got up at 6:00, walked the dog and am having my coffee now.  Once the naproxen kicks in, I’ll feel better, Mum & Dad will be up to head out to the house with me and I’ll get the painting process started.

It’ll feel like home soon enough.  I know I just need to be patient, but patience isn’t always one of my strong points.


(oh, the burning smell is coming from the wildfires in Quebec…all the way down into Central Maine – crazy!)

No comments: