Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Freezer Chicken

My very small order of meat chicks came in on May 20th.  Being new to meat birds, I started small...I only got 6.  My friend ordered them for me, so they cost me a grand total of $8.

Knowing that we couldn't name any of them individually (I really didn't want to form any kind of attachment to my future dinner), my family nicknamed them the "McNuggets."

They spent 2 weeks in the brooder, then 2 weeks in a dog crate in the basement, because my house smelled like chickens and good god, I couldn't wait to get them out of my house!

2012-05-19 15.30.33.jpg

2012-05-19 15.29.48.jpg

Then  I built them a PVC coop that I call the "Hoop Coop" since it looks like a hoop house:

Hoop coop frame

The finished hoop coop.

I had to cover the very top with a tarp to keep the rain out and they only used the little house for the first 2 weeks that they were out there, then they got too big to all fit in it.  I also didn't realize that they would smell as badly as they do, nor that they would be as disgustingly messy as they are. In 4 1/2 weeks, I've moved the coop a few times, to give them access to fresh grass, as they will COVER that small patch of grass in poo in a VERY short amount of time! They also eat like there's no tomorrow (which in their case is fairly accurate, I guess) and they suck through gallons upon gallons of water a day.

Well, the birds have finally reached their 8 week status (8 1/2 really) and its time to have them processed.  A guy I went to high school with, just down the road from me, runs a meat cutting business and processes poultry, as well.  The McNuggets have a 7:30 appointment and then, they will fill my freezer.





Say goodbye to the McNuggets!

No comments: